Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The difference a word makes


As I wandered home, this morning, post run, I was idly flicking through the channels on my radio and came across Catholic Mass. When I read the channel display I was my usual slightly cynical self but actually it was pretty cool.

When I hear something just a little bit different from what I am used to it can jar or enlighten. In this case I found some enlightenment which seemed appropriate in light of the story of the woman caught in adultery. In the version I am used to God is described as being the source of all our being - in this liturgy the word is fountain. There is a semantic but enlightening difference and the picture of a fountain is wonderful - the overflowing and covering action of running water. The beauty and mastery of the fountain builder.

It is the change of one small word but a very different picture. A wonderful door opening to the abundance of God's beauty (don't mean to overstate that but blessings are a good thing!!).

The woman caught in adultery also received a change of life based in abundance. It was an abundance, a fountain of God's forgiveness and mercy, a release from slavery from the source of all life.

"Go!" says Jesus, "Go!" and in that little word gives freedom. But he adds both a gift and a commission - do not sin again. In these latter words he offers a possibility of amendment which, perhaps, this woman had never considered.

Lord Jesus the source of all being,
The fountain of life,
Keep from us the snares of the world,
The temptations and waves of doubt,
The fear of rejection
And our running to sin.
Instead
Fill us with your forgiveness
That in abundant and merciful living
We may always walk as your disciples
And share our delight in you.
AMEN

No comments: