Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas

Being English I will never get used to celebrating Christmas on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas Day. Whilst I grew up familiar with Midnight Mass we would all crawl out of bed the next morning to attend the services on Christmas Day - several were always on the slate.

So today we went to a quiet Christmas day service in DC - it was just the ticket away from the chaos and the bustle. Our son, who was with me, could not resist whispering "Bang" every time the heating system whistled for a prolonged time - and it did sound like it was going to explode.

I had been thinking, yesterday, about how we dress up for Christmas and contrasting that to the shepherds- the working men - who rushed in from the fields to see this baby who had been born. I doubt they stopped to change their clothes and I was feeling a disconnect between the life I live every day and this celebration to which we are called.

So going to a relaxed service in jeans and finding a quieter place to welcome Jesus felt good - God is good and meets us where we are - and God wants us as we are - whatever we wear.

No comments: