Friday, February 26, 2010

windy day

Yesterday I was running in Fort Hunt Park. It is National Park Service land near our house and contains a mile and a bit of paved loop - one side of cars and one side for bikes and pedestrians. During the recent snow and snow and more snow it has been one of the few places where the road has been clear enough to allow more than a few yards of exercise without stepping on dangerous ice.

A few days of thaw have now cleared most of the roads and so yesterday the park was quieter - less exercise refugees from the neighborhoods. The grass was showing in between the lumps and mounds of snow - more grass than snow now. Much of the area is wooded and the trees have paid a heavy price in our recent weather. To add insult to injury the wind was picking up yesterday and the branches on many tree were whining and shrieking in protest. I suspect with higher winds overnight many have lost limbs.

Wind is a metaphor which we use for the Holy Spirit, but I was reminded as I was forced to slow to a walk by an extremely string gust which took my breath away, wind is a powerful force.

Sometimes we take our metaphors down to the most palatable form - we see the Holy Spirit as a sort of warm tropical breeze - which is very pleasant after a long flight on a crowded plane. But our faith is not all about tropical shores - sometimes we whine and crack under the pressure of things which we need to let go of - then a stronger wind is needed to help us understand that we need to refocus our attention on God.

My children will be confined to the main school building today - the mobile units are closed because of the winds. As I listen to the billowing gusts and think about their power I am praying that I do not reduce God to something which fits neatly and comfortably - but that I can open myself up to the full power of the Spirit, wind and flame.

No comments: