Thursday, August 5, 2010

Evening

Since Sunday I have been musing on this verse:

“For all their days are full of pain, and their work is a vexation; even at night their minds do not rest. This also is vanity.” Ecclesiastes 2:23

The thought of sleeplessness being vanity is a foreign one – and, indeed, I would not be so foolish as to say that all insomnia is a result of putting ourselves on a higher rung of the ladder than we should be. But it did bring to mind a half remembered story of a Bishop whose prayer every night was something along the lines of “God I have done your work all day, now look after things whilst I sleep.”

So whilst I do not want to simplify our lack of rest I am challenged to think about those times when I get wound up because I am trying to juggle all the balls all the time. This life is God’s work and I am a better tool when I have myself in that perspective. However talented anyone may be, however useful this usefulness soon ends if rest cannot be a stable part of life.

Lord, we have done your work today, now bless us and look after your work and your world while we sleep.

No comments: