Tuesday, January 20, 2015

grace

Today the Church remembers Richard Rolle, a monk from the early fourteenth century in England. A quote I came across from him caught my attention today, " If thou wilt be well with God, have grace to rule thy life." The thought of a grace ruled life is appealing. Not that I am entirely sure what that means - but it seems like a nice idea.
What after all is grace? Everything that I cannot be by myself, I suppose. Everything which makes me the better part of myself, perhaps. Grace is that which lends me to myself, that part of God which whispers life and leans into me. Grace and wisdom twine together - much like that breath which breathes over the chaos of those first waters at the beginning of creation in Genesis, grace breathes over those chaotic, fire breathing parts of me which seek to cause havoc, which seek to tear away from God.
Grace is that thing which creates and recreates constantly, that piece of God which calls me back to God. A life ruled by grace is a life under a constant call, a life with a constant breath and voice. Grace is a leveller and an inspiration. A small space. A separation from the ordinary and yet a very part of ordinary stuff. Breath. Creation.

No comments: