Friday, January 29, 2016

Peeling the Holy Family off the floor


I should have taken a picture of the sticker which had survived from Christmas Eve on the floor of the Contemporary Worship space until today. I noticed it on Monday during a lecture, but we were packed and I decided the spectacle of one of the clergy falling to her knees and scrubbing at the floor might be disconcerting.

Today we have some visiting Nuns setting up a program. When I went up to greet them, I remembered the sticker and went over to remove it. Mary and Joseph had been badly scuffed but Jesus was still peering out from below some footprints. When I had finished I said jokingly that scraping the Holy Family off the floor was not the best - and it really wasn't.

I guess I wondered how often I let the Christmas image get worn and scuffed, that Good News of God in human form. I wonder how often I let it sit for weeks, uncared for - and then worse, decide it is a messy old sticker in a room which is not set up for old pictures. I do not want to say that it was not doing any harm and I should have left it either. I do not think The Incarnation is harmless and should be left to wear on its own. Not drawing a conclusion, just wondering aloud.

No comments: