Friday, January 15, 2016

Slow prayer



As I prepare to head back from a very cold Massachusetts to the relative heat of Florida I am struck by the huge contrast of the place where I am, the monastery of St. John the Evangelist and pretty much everywhere I will be going.

Monastery life is on a different timescale and has different references than my life. There is a real feeling here that time is ample because time is regulated by rhythm. That might sound strange but a monk takes many years of soaking in a daily routine of slow prayer before making a full profession, he is entering into this for life. Perhaps I understand better the idea of a long catechumenate, the body of Christ is a lifelong commitment and we might do well to baste ourselves a little more in God'S presence before we take up our mantle of full Discipleship.

Meanwhile there is hurry and anxiety and anger around me. I am a priest, and I am reminded as a priest that this calling is also a lifelong one. Too often I expect some reward or token. Too often I want all to be well immediately. The message of the monastery is that all is well, God is amazing and merciful. Rushing is no good for us - we were made to adore our maker and to be molded by that adoration,  and that takes time.

No comments: