Sunday, June 25, 2017

God made us and loves us and keeps us


julian of norwich
Julian of Norwich lived in the fourteenth century in England. She was famous in her own time for her knowledge of God and personal holiness, people came from near and far to visit her. May 8th is the day upon which we remember her. Below is one of her most famous quotes, seeing that God loves us very much.
I saw that [our Lord] is to us everything which is good and comforting for our help. He is our clothing, who wraps and enfolds us for love, embraces us and shelters us, surrounds us for his love, which is so tender that he may never desert us. And so in this sight I saw that he is everything which is good, as I understand.
And in this he showed me something small, no bigger than a hazelnut, lying in the palm of my hand….
In this little thing I saw three properties. The first is that God made it, the second is that God loves it, the third is that God preserves it. But what did I see in it? It is that God is the creator and protector and the lover. For until I am substantially united to him, I can never have perfect rest or true happiness, until, that is, I am so attached to him that there can be no created thing between my God and me.

No comments: